Google

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Maybe we could test it on politicians...

Here's a new twist for a political race: One of the candidates for Oklahoma State School Superintendent proposed last week that used hardback textbooks be placed under every student's desk. The purpose? To shield their bodies in the event of a classroom shooting! You think I'm joking? Read it here.

Honestly, could he have sent a clearer message that he is not the candidate for people searching for real solutions for problems? What does he want to be known as? The Band-Aid candidate? Actually, this may qualify him as the perfect man to run the government school system: Treat the symptom, not the cause. No real thinking allowed.

So, what do we learn from this? How is this relevant to men trying to lead their families in the ways of Christ? Weeeelll, how about encouragement to look at the decisions we make from an outsider's point of view. Aaaaand, maybe ask a few questions as well:

1) Did I make this decision out of anger at the situation? (Not among my most rational moments)
2) Does this decision address the root of the problem? (Assuming we KNOW the root of the problem!)
3) How will my family react to this decision? Will they feel encouraged and protected or will they surmise that Dad's just blowing smoke again?
4)Second most importantly: Will this decision increase or improve my relationships with my wife and children?
5)Most importantly: Will this decision increase or improve my relationship with Father?

I could tsk at political candidates all day long. Heck, I could probably make it a full-time occupation! My judgmental nature loves that game! A more fruitful exercise would be to do what we just did: Take other's mistakes to heart and discern how we can avoid the same.

1 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you tell about the teachers with guns (Bodagits).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home