Google

Monday, August 21, 2006

A Restful Sabbath, Part 3

Sorry this is late. We spent our Sabbath taking a long drive through some scenic countryside and discussing future family plans and dreams. We also stopped for some Sherman's ice cream (celebrating their 90th year!) in South Haven. It was pretty cool.

OK, I said I would talk about why we celebrate Sabbath. Let's start with the really obvious:
IT'S A COMMANDMENT!!!
I guess nothing more needs to be said after that, hm? The Israelites suffered 70 years in captivity because they did not take God seriously when He commanded them to rest. For 490 years they had neglected to make the 7th year a year of Sabbath for the land. As a result, God said, "Fine. You won't give the land a rest? Then I will!" Since they had missed 70 Sabbath years, God removed them from the land for exactly that period of time!

Second observation: "Be ye imitators of God." God Himself rested on the seventh day, so even if it wasn't a commandment, it must be a pretty good idea.

Observation the third: Our lives are busy enough, don'cha think? We are living in a 24-hour society. No desire or whim is denied us at any time of any day! How could it not be a great idea to close ranks with the family, tell the world to buzz off, thank Father for His goodness, and look forward to another week of life?


Didn't get to connect blogs with my honey this week, but check hers out anyway: javadawn
She's always got great discussions and fun stuff over there!

1 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silly thing - I was waiting for you to blog on Sabbath so I COULD link up with yours. :) What a great wife - better give her...I mean me...a mocha!! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home