Google

Monday, August 07, 2006

Now...this:

We interrupt our discussion of classic futuristic tomes (as we will probably do frequently), for a timely observation: I AM SO GRATEFUL FOR THE BODY OF CHRIST!

The other day, I entered into a scriptural discussion with a brother who (how to put it delicately?) ...adheres to a different doctrinal stance than I do. Our conversation was interrupted, and before I had the chance to get back to fire up on him again, I chanced by my prayer partner (like anything happens in the Kingdom by "chance"). I said, "You gotta pray for me. I'm fixing to take that boy on. I've listened to that heresy long enough!" My brother calmly quoted 2 Tim 2:25 "with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to knowledge of the truth."

My super-spiritual reply? "Thank you, brother, the scales have fallen from my eyes. I shall go seek his forgiveness at once!"?? Nope. How about: "Wow. Let me go seek Father's heart in prayer to see how I should proceed!"?? Not even. More like: "Yeah, good word: gentleness. 'Cause my SPIRIT'S NOT FEELING VERY GENTLE RIGHT NOW!!!"

Of course, I justified all this 'tude by convincing myself that I was offended at the Word being misrepresented and the gospel being twisted to include the method of administering a sacrament as a requirement of salvation. (No, I'm not going to divulge the heretical teaching just in case some of you belong to the same denomination. If you'd like to contact me privately, however, we can figh- ...er... discuss the matter further.) The real issue here is my pride-filled heart exercising the need to be right. I can try to fool myself-and probably you-into thinking that I was defending the gospel. But my brother's Holy-Spirit-inspired words showed my sin for what it truly is, and...once again, I end up at the foot of the cross.

Thanks, man. That's where I belong anyway.

2 Comments:

At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, nope, you can't fool me. :D

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Jeff C said...

I never can, Love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home